|Reports to||Director, Underwriting|
|Job reference number||1308|
|Number of positions||1|
"The Power of Together"
Join a growing and dynamic company combining to create a revitalized organization that has a long and rich history in providing commercial, personal and specialized insurance in Canada.
The Northbridge Family includes Northbridge Insurance, supporting our broker partners; Federated Insurance, operating through dedicated sales agents, and, Zenith Insurance, which sells personal lines. One of Canada's leading commercial P&C insurance companies, Northbridge boasts $1.3 billion in premiums.
Our Vancouver office is located near the waterfront in downtown Vancouver. A world renowned urban centre boasting beautiful scenery, plus proximity to shopping and dining, Vancouver also offers the possibility of endless adventures for outdoor enthusiasts of all types. Our office is easily accessible by car, public transit, or even by bicycle.
Are you a newly graduated Mechanical Engineer or Civil Engineer interested in a career in the insurance industry?
Hudson Insurance Group is a market-leading specialty insurer headquartered in New York City with offices throughout the United States. Operating as Commonwealth Specialty in Vancouver we have an immediate opening for an Underwriter Trainee.
The trainee will be immediately responsible for providing technical and administrative support to assigned underwriting files. No prior knowledge of, or experience with, insurance is required. This position will provide you with on-the-job training in preparation for a professional career in Underwriting with a long term focus on risk management and loss prevention.
Through on the job training and working collaboratively on special projects, you will develop the skills required to underwrite and service assigned accounts in accordance with established guidelines and business objectives, within established authority levels.
- Providing effective technical and administrative support to assigned underwriting files.
- Communicating successfully with underwriters and brokers for verification and qualification of information and to request information required to be part of the underwriting file.
- Promptly responding to and investigating underwriting, broker and policy holder service requests and other correspondences.
- Familiarization and application of best business practices towards national service and quality standards and policies.
- University degree in mechanical or civil engineering.
- Excellent keyboarding skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work within and adapt to PC oriented environments, including familiarity with e-mail and the internet.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel including all functions e.g. mathematical formulas and pivot tables.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Team orientated personality.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels in the company. Perform other related duties as required to achieve the goals and objectives of the company and department.
- Maintain confidentiality of company-sensitive data.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job reference number in the subject line.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: February 20, 2013
Application Deadline: March 6, 2013