Director Corporate Underwriting - Auto
|Department||Corporate Underwriting, Governance|
|Reports to||Senior Vice President, Corporate Underwriting|
|Job reference number||8-ON-2013|
|Number of positions||1|
"The Power of Together"
Join a growing and dynamic company combining to create a revitalized organization that has a long and rich history in providing commercial, personal and specialized insurance in Canada.
The Northbridge Family includes Northbridge Insurance, supporting our broker partners; Federated Insurance, operating through dedicated sales agents, and, Zenith Insurance, which sells personal lines. One of Canada's leading commercial P&C insurance companies, Northbridge boasts $1.3 billion in premiums.
Our Toronto office is located in the heart of the vibrant downtown Toronto core. We are easily accessible by TTC, GO Transit, or even on bicycle or on foot for those who live in the city. Just steps from First Canadian Place, and walking distance to great shopping and dining, it is an exciting and dynamic location.
The Director, Corporate Underwriting will proactively look for ways to drive the profitable growth of their product lines. They will work with Actuarial representatives on pricing. The incumbent is responsible for the coaching, training, technical guidance and management of a team of strong technical underwriting experts.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Team Lead for New Products, define the product strategy and roadmap.
- Develop the core positioning and messaging for the product with the assistance and direction of marketing.
- Propose an overall business plan to ensure success and work with regional management to achieve alignment in revenue and profitability planning.
- Drive Product strategies to improve line of business results aligned with organizational strategic imperatives.
- Collaboratively sets pricing with actuarial to meet revenue and profitability targets.
- Develop sales tools and collateral with the assistance and direction of Market Management.
- Brief and train the regional management and distribution at selected intervals.
- Participate with others in the Corp UW team in the development of enhanced/innovative insurance products in support of target customer segments.
- Participate with others in the Corp UW team in the development of training programmes that support the development of regional underwriting skills.
- Create underwriting frameworks, guidelines and policies to ensure profitable underwriting results across all regions.
- Working in collaboration with regional UW teams, ensure that frameworks are well understood and being applied consistently across all regions.
- Develop and implement tools that ensure consistent application of the framework, including systems enhancements.
- Drive the development of Audit questions and reports to assure oversight of underwriting practices in the Regions to support strategies and organizational strategic imperatives.
- Review Audit results and provide guidance and direction for adjustments to framework or policies to reflect best practices and company targets.
- Assist Regional management in the development of action plans in response to audit results.
- Optimizes processes through the identification and development of system improvements.
- Work closely with regions, actuarial pricing and customer center of excellence to ensure products are appropriately priced and the business is generating expected profitability targets.
- Accountability to ensure that profitability targets are met by monitoring ongoing line of business and product profitability across all regions.
- Accountability for guiding the development and delivery of new strategies to ensure future profitability and to course correct, if required.
- Provide direction and support while removing barriers to allow team to support and drive tactics required to ensure stability and profitability of the line of business.
- Coach, mentor and direct staff and evaluate staff performance in relation to standards and progress toward achieving individual and organizational objectives.
- Plan departmental resourcing needs, plan for growth and ensure that attendance and vacation requests are managed for the team.
- Develop technical skills of regional underwriting teams through the identification of training needs and development and delivery of technical training.
- Analyze new business for risk profitability with guidance from a more senior underwriter by assessing exposures and hazards as determined by review of underwriting data.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent business experience.
- Excellent depth of underwriting knowledge on specific product area (e.g. Property, Casualty, or Liability).
- Completion of or working towards CIP/FCIP designation.
- 7+ years of progressively more senior UW experience.
- 3+ years of experience supervising staff.
- Working knowledge of the MS Office suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook), and the Internet.
- Fluently bilingual (English / French) is a definite asset (a requirement in Quebec Region).
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com quoting the job reference number in the subject line.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: May 6, 2013